Authentication Procedure In Canada

Authentication Procedure In Canada

Important Documents which are notarized in Canada for out of territories usage need to pass through the procedure of “Authentication & Legalization” in order to confirm their validation in a foreign jurisdiction. The Authentication & Legalization procedure of notarize documents in Canada is similar to “apostille certificates” released by member countries in the The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents.

The Hague Convention (1954) established an international system for verifying the authenticity of official documents that might travel from one country to another country. This guarantee of authenticity is called an apostille meaning “certification.” It is an act by which a designated public official certifies to the genuineness of the seal, signature and the position of the official person who has notarized a document.

As Canada didn’t sign Hague convention, it requires and is required to provide a Canada Apostille Certificates or Form 10 – International Certificate of Identity that which is almost similar like apostille. This Certificate of Authentication issued by Canadian notarizers or authorities is same as apostille.

However, depending on the country as well as the document in question, a Notarizer is able to provide you with authentication and legalization services. Canadian lawyers will authenticate and legalize your notarized documents by charging an extra fee.

The apostille can be attached as an annexe to the main document or may be placed on the document itself by means of a stamp. Some states even have a requirement for an “exemplification” to be applied to the official document before it is sent for the apostille which is done by the notary. While some states have a requirement that the notarized document must be recently issued. This means that even your perfectly valid certificate may have to be issued again to meet the timeliness requirement.

Which documents need and which don’t need an apostille?

You and your children must have an apostille for birth certificates for use in Mexico. While other documents that will need an apostille include certificates of marriage, adoption, death, divorce; diplomas, professional licenses, college grade transcripts, etc.

You don’t require an apostille for your passport or driver’s license.

From where to get an apostille?

When you require an apostille for a notarized document, you should ask at your county clerk’s office; they will let you know the procedure for your state as well as your notary may be able to direct you.

In Canada, the procedure is bit different. Hence you will need to take your Canadian documents to a consulate in Canada where they will issue the necessary papers for you.

For more information about our service please do visit: or call 416.782.5926 or 1.888.627.7266.

Notarizers is affiliated with OPARA LAW PC, one of Canada’s most vibrant, dynamic and rapidly growing law firms. Notarizers is an independent private company managed by a group of skilled executives, qualified both as lawyers and as notaries public.

This entry was posted in Certificates. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *